Having taken two summer classes before, I have a fairly good understanding of distance learning. There are definitely a large amount of pros and cons to distance learning, or taking a fully online class. Overall, I would rate distance learning in the form of an online course a 6/10.
- complete at your own leisure
- good for auditory learners
- typically an “easy A”
- can be anywhere in the world
- no face to face interaction
- very minimal peer collaboration
- no opportunity to get to know your professor
- if concepts are confusing, they need to be reexplained through email instead of with a new diagram online
These are just a few pros and cons of distance learning, but I am personally not a fan of it. Looking back at my two classes I took online, I still remember about 10% of the information that I was taught. These two classes were core requirements, so I do not believe that my education at PC has suffered from it, but I would definitely not recommend a distance learning class for a major/minor requirement.